vodka STORMRAGE

@Killars for comp

@Killars for comp

Postby Etrnl » November 1st, 2011, 8:42 pm

Hey,

I am upgrading my system soon and, like you, find it easier to just build a new one from scratch. That said, I was listening to your stream last night and heard you get into a discussion regarding the quad vs hexa core procs and their application for WoW streaming. Unfortunately, you muted vent shortly after so I did not get to hear the entirety of the conversation and had a few questions I was hoping you could answer.

1. What monitor do you use and/or suggest? I have heard conflicting reports as to whether 120Hz is worth it over 60, especially in WoW, and 2560x1600 just seems to be a matter of preference in TV sized 1080p vs a smaller (30in or so) 2560 monitor.

2. Do you need the extra cores of your 970, or would the higher overclockability of a 2600k be better? Most people can see 5GHz OCs on 2600Ks compared to low-mid 4's on 9 series i7s. If given the chance now, would you upgrade to the 2600k, or stick with something in the hexa core family like the 980/waiting for the x79 platform with the new 6 core i7's?

3. Is your Proc/GPU OC'd? I plan on doing much the same things you do, WoW while frapsing/streaming. Do you see any need for a second 580 in your daily use (if yours is already overclocked to the max)?

4. Did you ever manage to install your Ultra Kaze fans, and did they make a noticeable difference?

5. I understand having SSDs for your OS/main programs, and a normal 7200 drive for storage, but what do you use your Velociraptor drive for?

Sorry for the mind numbing questions you must get several times a day. Thank you very much in advance for any reply!
Etrnl
Registered

Re: @Killars for comp

Postby Killars » November 5th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Sorry for the somewhat delayed response. It has been very busy lately and I just came across this post again today :/

1. I use a dual screen setup of 24" Sceptre monitors (no longer sold I believe). I've had these for like... 6 years so I haven't had much experience with other monitors. I hear / see from friends that LG, ASUS, and Samsung all put out pretty good monitors and pretty much the only monitor brands I would look at. TBH you should probably google some review sites I'm sure you'd find a better answer there.

2. From what I've seen the hexa core I7s have/will perform better than the 2600s. I do not overclock my 970 as I like a cool PC and I don't have anything but a H70 to keep it cool. If I really wanted to open it up I think I would need a better water cooling system. It works fine so I won't really mess with it, but I'm sure I could be doing more to OC my 970 with just the H70 cooling it (just playing it safe). The old hexa core processors are far more pricey compared to the 2600k which as you said you can OC to higher GHz, so I'm really not sure what will work out better. Overall if you aren't rich I'd go with the 2600k and OC the shit out of it as even a stock 2600k will be able to stream decently.

3. My GPU is while I stream/fraps. (http://i.imgur.com/R5qEe.png). No, WoW doesn't make very good use of SLI and I've found it to be nearly pointless to have more than one, but hey... I might be wrong there too.

4. I am extremely lazy and I've not bothered to go to the hardware store to gather some new screws for my Ultra Kaze Fans, but I am certain they would make at least a 5c difference compared to the stock H70 fans. The airflow difference is pretty big so I assume it should do work.

5. I use the SSDs for WoW, WoW Beta/PTR, Xsplit, and OS. I use the Velociraptor for all other games and applications that I use often (LoL, iTunes, Mumble, Rift (lol), etc.) as I had 2 of these drives in my old computer, but decided to split it and use one here and one in my old HP Blackbird 002 where I also have 1 other 64GB SSD for WoW/OS.

Sorry if you thought I was an expert and I come off indecisive and amateur, but I don't read through product reviews or buy a bunch of parts any more like I used to. It was an old hobby that I guess I just stopped doing/having time for.

GLHF

-Killars

Edit/Update: I was going to change the above post, but I got inspired and I actually am going to the hardware store soon to get the new screws for the H70. I also just read some reviews/guides and watched a video on some voltages/speed adjustments to OC my 970 to 4GHz and it's running about about 40c before I get the new fans in on the H70. Here is the new specs http://i.imgur.com/NE6mv.png I'll tell you have it runs in a new update later.

Edit/Update 2: Hardware store was closed so I'll get that tomorrow. I'm actually pushing 4.2 GHz now and I'm going to start bench marking / stress testing the system. More pics to come!
Killars
vodka Member

Postby Etrnl » November 5th, 2011, 8:42 pm

No Problem! I assumed you were quite busy, but thank you for the reply nonetheless. With the monitors, if yours are from that long ago, I would assume they are probably 60Hz with a max res of 1920x1080, so if that works for you I am sure it will be just fine for me as well. I did do as much research as possible before coming here, as I did not want to bother you with questions that had easy answers, and found solutions to many, but the ones I posted here were things I could not find straight answers to. Some gamers say a 120Hz monitor is a must have for games, others say it just puts more stress on your system for games like WoW and won't actually give you any benefit. As far as the CPUs go, I am leaning toward the P67 platform and the 2600k, but the rumor is that the x79 platform (new replacement line for the 6 core 9 series i7's) will be making its debut on the 15th of this month, so I may force myself to wait and see how that turns out to make a final decision. My biggest fear is making a hasty decision and purchasing a system that does not meet my expectations in performance.

Glad my post may have had some small influence on you installing the new fans! I hope they work out well. Please do let me know how everything turns out with them and the OC. Thank you once again for the reply!
Etrnl
Registered

Postby Killars » November 5th, 2011, 9:55 pm

1920x1200 is actually the max, but I use 1920x1200 to match the render for Kina and other players.

Is that new processor the 8 core that is coming out this month? I was told 8 core Intels were dropping in December which is when I was considering upgrading.
Killars
vodka Member

Postby Etrnl » November 5th, 2011, 10:19 pm

It's the new socket deemed "Socket 2011", but all reports show it will remain a 6 core proc, just getting a boost in speed. Ivy Bridge will be replacing the current quad cores early next year, but that too will likely retain its current core count.
Etrnl
Registered

Postby Thekid » November 5th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Tbh, the Ivy Bridge is worth the wait. It doesn't make sense to buy one now when the Ivy Bridge will have a lot more CPU performance as well as its graphics. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I'd rather wait than spend money now and have to upgrade a few months later. =/
Thekid
Registered

Postby Killars » November 6th, 2011, 11:43 am

Not that the Sandy Bridge is really expensive, but depending on how expensive the new Ivy Bridge is you might wanna make use of the Sandy Bridge price drop that will come with it and just buy it then.

New OC CPU specs: http://i.imgur.com/brqU3.png
Killars
vodka Member

Return to Media